Home » Legal Services » Same Sex Relationships

Legal Services for Same Sex RelationshipsIf you are involved in a same-sex relationship and need legal assistance Matthew Love Family Lawyers can assist you in the following areas.


In Australia same sex couples enjoy many of the same rights as married couples under the Family Law Act 1975 (Cth).

At the end of a relationship, it is necessary for you and your ex-partner to divide up your assets and financial resources.  Time limits do apply so it is important to start this process as soon as possible.


The Property Settlement should include:

  • Real estate,
  • Money held, cash & bank accounts;
  • Investments;
  • Insurance policies;
  • Inheritances;
  • Shares;
  • Superannuation;
  • Jewellery;
  • All other assets whether in joint names or not; and
  • All debts, including mortgages, loans, credit cards and personal debts whether in joint names or not.

If you have reached an agreement with respect to the division of your assets it is vital that it is formally documented in the form of Consent Orders or as a Binding Financial Agreement.

If you and your ex-partner are unable to come to an agreement you have the options of mediation or applying to the Court.



The law currently only recognises the birth mother (a woman who gives birth to a child) and birth father (a father listed on a child’s birth certificate) as the legal parents of a child.

The partners of a birth parent can apply to the Family Court for a parenting order as “other people significant to the care, welfare and development” of the child.

We can assist you with your application to the Court, as the birth parent or co-parent.



Domestic violence includes not only physical abuse and damage to a person’s property but also:

  • Emotional or psychological abuse;
  • Economic abuse;
  • Threatening or coercive behaviour; and
  • Any other controlling or dominating behaviour that causes a person to fear for their safety or wellbeing.

Nobody has the right to threaten or another person.  These laws protect everyone who lives in Australia.  You can apply to the Courts for a Protection Order.


Call us today on 07 3390 2344 (Capalaba), 07 3180 4555 (Aspley) or 07 3252 8233 (Fortitude Valley) to make an appointment to discuss your matter.  We offer an initial consultation for $99.00.

Click here to book a $99 initial consultation