Domestic Violence includes not only physical abuse and damage to a person’s property but also;
- emotional or psychological abuse
- economic abuse
- threatening or coercive behaviour, and
- any other controlling or dominating behaviour that causes a person to fear for their safety or wellbeing.
I feel isolated – my partner is making it very difficult for me financially and emotionally.
Family violence is any behaviour between family members that causes fear.
- threats to injure you or any children or damage your property
- physical violence (including violence that does not cause actual injury, for example, pushing, shoving, holding down)
- damage to property (including animals)
- indecent behaviour, for example, coercive sexual behaviour, forced sexual intercourse
- intimidation and harassment, which may include:
- persistent phone calls
- verbal abuse
- financial abuse, for example, refusing to provide money for food and necessities
- social abuse, for example, isolating a person from family and friends
- psychological abuse, for example, constant put downs.
No one has the right to hurt or threaten another person. These laws protect everyone who lives in Australia. You can apply to the Courts for a Protection Order.
If you are on a visa and there is family violence, get legal help immediately.
If you require assistance or have any questions please call us today 07 3390 2344.
Queensland Courts have published a series of videos explaining the court process for making domestic violence orders. If you are applying or responding to a domestic violence order, there is information here for you. Domestic Violence Orders are part of a strategy to protect the safety of all members of our community and to stop the violence.
To view the videos click this link http://www.courts.qld.gov.au/courts/magistrates-court/domestic-and-family-violence/domestic-violence-videos
Family Relationship Services
Telephone: 1800 050 321
Telephone: 1300 364 277
Telephone: 1800 55 1800
Australian Women Against Violence Alliance
Telephone: 1300 252 006
Telephone: 13 11 14